Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Naming of Things

One of the things I'm trying to make sure I do while blogging is ensuring some amount of anonymity for my loved ones. Mom, Dad, Step-Dad, Sis, etc. all have easy pseudonyms. I don't give out specifics of where they work unless they have a website, like Step-Dad does, in which case I reserve the right for sending people over there as much as possible. Best friends have first initials or other nicknames.

Boyfriend, however, needed a nickname. Just calling him "Boyfriend" seemed minimizing. It was giving him merely a classification instead of making him a real person. Considering his place in my life, the importance he has, he deserves to be a whole person. And his first initial, E, doesn't look right. Besides, he'll be the one mentioned the most often out of everyone. He lives down the sidewalk, we see each other every day, and we intend to spend the rest of our lives together. So I asked him to think of a pseudonym he liked for when I blog about him.
Cut to two weeks later, and he still hadn't done it. I bugged him about it, but apparently it wasn't as big of a deal for him. (I'll have to remember to stress next time when something is important to me and not just an idle request.) I warned him that failure to pick a pseudonym would result in him having to deal with whatever I came up with, forfeiting all his rights to object. He was okay with that.

I started running through things in my mind, trying to come up with something that would fit him. One possibility was Dread Pirate Roberts, another was Code Monkey. I briefly considered Mickey because he does an amazing Mickey Mouse imitation, but that voice freaks me the heck out, so I don't want to encourage it. I finally decided on one that's an inside joke for us.

Now, before you start groaning about how it's so cutesy, hear me out. At the beginning of our relationship, he was playing a game called Monkey Island. It may have been one of the sequels, but it was from that line of games. It's a goofy pirate game, where you win duels by using the right responses to insults from your opponent. One day I heard something a little odder than normal.

Me: "Honey, did your computer just call you 'plunder bunny'?"
Him: "Yeah. I'm wooing the governor's daughter again."
Me: "But...plunder bunny?!" *dissolves into giggles* "I'm so using that at some point."

Fast-forward to a month or so later when he was packing to move. I open a box to sort through old stuff for Goodwill and find a tiny stuffed rabbit, wearing a bandanna, striped shirt, and eyepatch. "I found Plunder Bunny!!"

Plunder Bunny now has a place of honor by his desk, and I'm borrowing the name. From now on, my beloved boyfriend will be known as Plunder Bunny on this blog. And I can promise you that every time I type it, I will be giggling a little bit.

3 comments:

  1. What makes it even funnier, I think, is that his response is so casual, like wooing the governor's daughter is all in a day's work and being referred to as 'plunder bunny' is nothing out of the ordinary. Also can't help but wonder what was going through the head of the person who put that one in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, that new picture (over there on the side) is so wonderful. You are lovely! And second, I jumped in, over at Lucy's, as fast as I could about that Plunder Bunny name. It is hysterical, on so many levels. (NOT a gaming pun, it just came out that way, see we can be accidentally funny.) Keep writing, you are doing very well.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kris - If you think his response is hilarious, you would die laughing watching us have daily conversations. He excels at the laconic, casual response to things, and I have fallen off the couch laughing at him on more than one occasion. :D Also you should google Monkey Island quotes. There are some doozies out there. The whole series of games is full of delicious randomness.

    @lunarmom - Thank you very much for the compliment. The picture is over a year old and...you know what? I'm not going to deflect. Thank you. :) I remember you liking the Plunder Bunny name. There are a few friends that aren't Betties who I thought would appreciate the exposition of where it came from. Otherwise I was risking rotten tomatoes and complaints of us being too mushy/dirty. All with love, of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete